Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Red Pill


So today I took steps towards that 'Pursuit of Happiness' that we've heard so much about. Who would have thought it would be as simple as making my own untainted decisions, regardless of the consequence, choosing a course of action that will help me get there and relying on my friends and family to support me. Two years I've been studying to be a chemical engineer with no idea of what a chemical engineer does. "Engineer chemicals" shouldn't be the response to come out of your mouth when someone asks you what you're going to do with your degree. I guess that's what happens when you're afraid to speak up to those who only have your best interest in mind... especially when they gave birth to you. I mean the least I could do is hear her out. At 21, I finally figured out that going to college is all about learning to be whatever you want to be. Big revelation... I know. But if I went to college to earn money at a job I hate, I would have wasted my time. I could have dropped out of kindergarten and got stuck at a job I can't stand, so why waste the money. I know it sounds cheesy but I finally feel like I can be me for the first time in a long. It must be easier to be yourself when you're not studying to be someone else. Funny how common sense works.

1 comment: